Bursting with flavor and ready in 15 minutes, these grilled sweet potatoes are a must-add to any summer barbecue lineup. Even though they’re cooked to smoky perfection, each slice is nice and tender and coated in a tasty blend of savory seasonings.
You need grilled veggies to complete any summer barbecue. In addition to these amazing grilled sweet potatoes, you’ll have to try out grilled tomatoes, zucchini, and broccoli! Grilling really brings out the best in fresh veggies. It makes them so tender and flavorful!
The Best Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Grilled sweet potatoes are incredibly tasty and a must-add to any BBQ lineup. Just imagine biting into tender, slightly charred slices of sweet potato that are bursting with natural sweetness. The combination of the sweet potato’s earthy taste and the smoky notes from the grill creates a mouthwatering treat that will leave you wanting more. For a little extra flavor, I topped them with a blend of garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper. I love how these seasonings balance out their sweetness, but feel free to adjust to taste! Whether you want your grilled sweet potatoes to be more sweet or savory, it’s all up to you.
These sweet potatoes have become a new staple at my house this grilling season. They’re just so tender and bursting with flavor! If you’re not already convinced, sweet potatoes have fewer carbs than regular potatoes and are packed with fiber for a side dish you can feel great about eating! Not to mention, they just taste amazing and have a natural sweetness that is absolutely irresistible. Serve them on their own or added to kabobs with your other favorite grilled veggies! Either way, I’m sure you’ll love this recipe for grilled sweet potatoes as much as I do.
The great thing about this recipe is that you only need a few simple ingredients to create a knockout side dish. Sweet potatoes, a brush of olive oil, and a couple spices is everything you will need! See the recipe card below for the exact measurements that I used.
- Large Sweet Potatoes: You’ll want these to be washed and peeled before you cut them into slices.
- Olive Oil: Helps cook each slice to tender perfection and also helps the seasonings stick.
- Seasonings: I added a sprinkle of garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper for flavor that is savory but also has a hint of warm spice.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes on the Grill
This is the perfect summer side dish that you’ll have ready in 15 minutes! These slices of sweet and savory heaven are great for serving with any hearty meal. For some dinner inspo, check out my full list of grilling recipes here.
- Heat Grill: Heat your grill up to medium high heat and oil the grates well.
- Prep Sweet Potatoes: Prepare your sweet potatoes by washing, peeling, and cutting them into about ¼ inch thick disks.
- Add Seasonings: Toss your sweet potato disks in your olive oil and sprinkle your salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika evenly over them.
- Grill: Place your oiled and seasoned potatoes onto the heated grill. Grill each side for about 6-8 minutes.
- Serve: Transfer the grilled potatoes to a plate and serve them while they’re warm!
Here are a few ways to switch up this amazing side dish and make it your own! With how tasty and easy to make these grilled sweet potatoes are, you’re going to want them with every meal.
- Change the Shape: Instead of disks, try sweet potato wedges! You could also make sweet potato fries as long as they’re thick enough so they don’t fall through the grill grates.
- Make Them Sweet: Swap out the savory spices for a few tablespoons of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon! The brown sugar will give them a delicious caramelized outer layer.
Storing Leftover Grilled Sweet Potatoes
If you have leftover sweet potatoes, keep them! They’re great for a quick snack or for adding to salads and meal preps.
- In the Refrigerator: Store grilled sweet potatoes in an airtight container for 3-4 days. If you want to warm them up, pop them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes!
Heat your grill up to medium high heat and oil the grates well.
Prepare your sweet potatoes by washing, peeling, and cutting them into about ¼ inch thick disks.
Toss your sweet potato disks in your olive oil and sprinkle your salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika evenly over them.
Place your oiled and seasoned potatoes onto the heated grill. Grill each side for about 6-8 minutes.
Transfer the grilled potatoes to a plate and serve them while they’re warm!
Calories244kcal (12%)Carbohydrates35g (12%)Protein3g (6%)Fat11g (17%)Saturated Fat2g (10%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat8gSodium676mg (28%)Potassium598mg (17%)Fiber5g (20%)Sugar7g (8%)Vitamin A24296IU (486%)Vitamin C4mg (5%)Calcium55mg (6%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.